Stoneleigh Abbey, the ancestral home of the Leigh family, is a country house steeped in history. Founded in 1154 as a Cistercian monastic house on a land grant from King Henry II, it was later converted into a comfortable family home.
The older portion of the house, built from local red sandstone, was started in 1561 and successive generations added to the design. The newest part of the house was completed around 1720 and was designed by Francis Smith of Warwick.
The grounds were landscaped by Humphry Repton in 1809, with additions by Nesfield. The magnificent Orangery overlooking the River Avon is now a cosy tea room serving light lunches and cream teas.
With connections to Queen Victoria, Prince Charles and Jane Austen, this former monastery is well worth a visit!